Registration of a birth after one year is performed under special provisions with the approval of the Registrar General, Colombo. When the application is made to the Embassy for the registration of such births, the Embassy would forward those applications to the Registrar General, Colombo for approval.

Application Procedure

Following documents should be submitted to the Embassy with a letter explaining as to why the birth was not registered within one year by the father or the mother of the child. 

    1. Duly filled “Declaration of Birth after Three Months (Section 24)

    2. Duly filled “Annex A ” in duplicate

    3. Duly filled “Citizenship Form 1

If the child is over 21 years old, the Birth Declaration should be submitted by him/herself. They can not apply for Sri Lankan Citizenship under Section 5(2) through the Embassy.

Applicants are kindly requested to complete all the cages in the application form appropriately and make sure not to leave any cages blank. Declarant of the Birth should place his/her signature in the applications/ declarations in front of an Embassy official.

If the applicant is unable to visit the Embassy to submit the application, his/her signature must be attested by the Honorary Consul General for Sri Lanka (Finland and Iceland) or Government registered Justice of Peace/Notary Public/ Attorney-at-Law/Solicitor. 

Supporting documents required -

- Original Passports of the parents.

- Original Foreign Birth Certificate of the child.

Parents are advised to obtain an English translation of the Foreign Birth Certificate and submit the English version to the Consular Division of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Norway/Finland or Iceland for certification, before submitting it to the Embassy as a supportive document to the Birth Registration Application.

- Original Marriage certificate of the parents. If the marriage has been registered outside Sri Lanka it should be countersigned by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the relevant country. If the parents are unmarried, consent letter of the father must be submitted to the Embassy in person, to include his name to the birth certificate of the child.

- Original Birth Certificates of the parents. Please submit the English translation also together with the original certificate, if available.

- Original Citizenship Certificates of parents if they were born outside Sri Lanka.

 Original Residence Permit Cards of parents (compulsory) and the child (if available). 

- If one of the parents does not have a valid travel document and / or valid visa he/she should produce a letter from the Immigration Authority to prove his/her eligibility to live in Norway/Finland/Iceland.

- If the father or mother is a citizen of a country other than Sri Lanka, his/her foreign Passport, with the citizenship certificate.

- Explanation letter from the parents